Friday, October 2, 2020

A Symbol of WHAT?

Farrah Bonnot posted this thing about an older gent who wants to start a "patriotic walking group." Y'know, for exercise. It would start with the Pledge of Allegiance, and then they'd walk around the neighborhood. For some reason, I envisioned a bunch of older folks and pensioners marching through the neighborhood. Perhaps whistling the "Star Spangled Banner." Maybe the guy in the lead is carrying a flag. Maybe they ALL have little flags. Now Farrah's take on this is "Why is it a PATRIOTIC walking group?" MY take on it was "Why do I find this vaguely threatening? Not quite in a white bedsheets and pointy hoods and burning crosses sort of way, but kinda sorta if not in that ballpark, then certainly hanging out at the refreshment stand?" And I sat and thought about it. I grew up in a time where the American flag was a symbol of American pride. It's at the head of the classroom. It's ubiquitous on the Fourth of July, and flown on every float in the Fourth of July parade. There's one over every ball park, and most used car dealerships. The American Flag was a GOOD THING. Once upon a time. Funny thing? This past Fourth of July, I didn't see flags on every door, like I used to, back in the day. In fact, the only flag I saw in my neighborhood was the Blue Lives Matter flag that one guy down the street and around the corner has on his flag pole, the monochrome flag with the one blue stripe.... flying above his TRUMP 2020 sign stuck in his front yard. When... in my mind.... did the Stars and Stripes quit being about hot dogs, apple pie, and good living and governance? When did it become a vague threat? Is this what black folks talk about when they talk about Confederate flags? I'm seeing what they mean. It's an ugly feeling. And all the more so because the American flag USED to be a GOOD thing, to me. All the more so when the flag bearers also wear FUCK YOUR FEELINGS T-shirts. When did it start being about the loudmouth screaming I FEEL THREATENED! I FEEL THREATENED! at the old lady who asked him to wear a mask in Costco? When did it start being about I HAVE RIGHTS I HAVE RIGHTS! because you can't send your kid to school without vaccinations, regardless of who else it hurts? When did it start being about ALL LIBTARDS WANT TO TAKE MY GUNS MY GUNS MY GUUUUUNS? Or NOT MY PRESIDENT! Or FAKE NEWS! Or just screaming at those Other People that they hate hate hate so much, so very much? When did my perfectly good American flag become a SYMBOL OF HATE? When did the flag bearers become.... my ENEMIES? And who MADE this decision? It sure wasn't ME. How did this come about? And more importantly, WHY? And what am I supposed to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment